This course is designed to provide the practical skills and the operating safety knowledge necessary for the safe and efficient operation of a Telehandler.
Course Duration: 1/2 Day
What the Course Covers
• Check fuel, battery, oil and water. Check motive and hydraulic controls, seat, brakes, horn, steering and gauges. Complete weekly report.
• Mount and dismount correctly, adjust seat, starting and stopping engine/power. Driving under control in both directions. Applying brakes correctly. Selecting a safe parking area.
• Steer the truck, laden and unladen, forwards and in reverse. Position truck accurately in relation to obstacles and loads. Use all steering modes – 4 wheels, 2 wheel & crab steer.
• Identify hydraulic components, including stabilizer legs or self- levelling body. Operate controls smoothly and correctly.
• Factors which may affect stability, capacity plate, load centre, lift capacity, causes of lateral and longitudinal instability.
• Danger of overloading and unsafe condition. Derate truck when fitting attachments i.e. sideshift, box tippers, bulk buckets etc.
• Stack and destack both flat and corner post pallets up to maximum lift height of truck, position for stacking / destacking.
• Driving laden and unladen under control. Use of traction aids.
• Loading and unloading palletized goods over both sides of a lorry.
• Appreciate the need to operate trucks safely and correctly and to observe the company safety rules.
• Load a bulk lorry or trailer with bulk material (position and stability).
• Position of forks and boom. Legal requirements.